Swooping is bad
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wynne - non-critical (?) spoilers

4 posters

Go down

Wynne - non-critical (?) spoilers Empty Wynne - non-critical (?) spoilers

Post  Odie Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:43 pm

What do you think happened to Wynne's son?

My gut says the Chantry handed him over to the Templars and they killed him... but that's just because I hate those bastards Evil or Very Mad (never-sworn unwilling Templars excluded, of course!)

Did they send him to a far away Chantry to be raised? We know that the Chantry is not a Fereleden-only institution. They exist in Orlay and Antiva, and probably other places too. I presume this means they have their own Circles where mages are trained, and where he would have been sent when/if he started showing signs of power.

An interesting thought my husband had this morning (we carpool together to work) was that it's possible that they brought him back to the Circle when he was old enough, after keeping him hidden somewhere for years feeding him lies about his past. He said that if he only saw his girls when they were born, and then not again for 10 years, the chances are very good that he would never recognize them. Our Wynne is a smart cookie however... plus I'm not sure how well that kind of a secret could/would be kept from her.

What do you think?

(My other question - is the "Wynne had a son" plot bunny set-up for future DLC?)
Odie
Odie

Back to top Go down

Wynne - non-critical (?) spoilers Empty Re: Wynne - non-critical (?) spoilers

Post  vehlr Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:47 pm

Hahaha, we were just chatting about this.

I think she did have a son, but I also have a sneaking suspicion that the Circle isn't so kind as to let such a child live.. even if she gets told that the child was sent for adoption, I think she knows in her heart what really happened..
vehlr
vehlr

Back to top Go down

Post  Odie Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:51 pm

It makes sense, from the Templar's POV... they exist to keep the mages "in line", because their powers don't develop until they're almost teenagers, and if they killed them all on site/discovery, as it were, they'd have even more apostates to deal with.

But an innocent baby, who's the product of two mages? I think they'd see it as damage control to smother the poor thing Sad

I think my psychic IPod just answered my question... "Lightning Crashes" indeed. Sad

On further reflection, was she trying to avoid hardening Alistair by skirting the truth? That's so sweet, in a sad, sad way.
Odie
Odie

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhia474 Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:50 am

Now, now, let's not be hasty. Very Happy Mages' offspring might be an excellent source of mage replacement, after all, and I have the feeling the Chantry and the Templars might just have a practical streak. What would be easier, from their viewpoint, than taking babies born of two mages, carefully raise them until their magical telents manifest and then release them back to under the carefully controlled environment of the Circle Towers as orphans with unknown parentage? I realize that recruiting from magically telented children of mundanes is the recognized 'canon' but since Wynne explicitly states she had a son, I have the feeling that he'd be considered an asset, bluntly put, that can be 'cultivated' and 'controlled' much easier than an outside-raised child would be.
Not saying this is not just as a cynical viewpoint as the other, but let's consider it from a leadership perspective, shall we?
Rhia474
Rhia474

Back to top Go down

Post  Amerou Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:57 am

Also note that Dagna in Orzammar states that the Imperium (I BELIEVe, not 100% certain) used to document the bloodlines of every single family that had ever produced a mage child. It's not so far a leap of logic to theorize that either the Templars or the higher-ups of the Circle do the exact same thing, but with the children of mages.
Amerou
Amerou

Back to top Go down

Post  Odie Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:06 am

Man. I BET there's a deeper story here.

Wynne says that mages getting married is "not encouraged".
She says, of having children, that "these things are avoidable" - some kind of magical birth control?
She is VERY understanding (once she comes around) to the idea of the PC and Alistair's romance. But also, very realistic and grounded.

I wonder if she didn't fall in love when she was young, and conceived the child on purpose. Maybe even in an attempt to get them to allow her to marry her love, defying the Circle and the Templars. But, as things played out, they fell apart. Maybe something like she tried to get away, but they locked her up until she gave birth, took away the child, and then pretended like nothing happened.

It would definitely explain her perspective on the PC and Alistair... both her initial "Don't you dare hurt him" conversation with the PC, and her later acceptance and outright doting on them.
Odie
Odie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down